Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
The bottom line is this: Rules that are established at the outset of play are part and parcel with the game rules. If a character reaches -10 HP, he dies and becomes unplayable unless raised. That's a game rule, and people don't complain about that. (They complain about dying, but who doesn't?) Similarly, creatures with Int of 2 or less are not playable; if a character's Int is permanently reduced to that level, they become an NPC. Again, non-issue. So if you make a similar rule that certain alignments or races are banned, it is understood that a character who violates those bans becomes an NPC. It is not okay to retcon the PC's action without the player's permission. It is, however, appropriate to NPC the character.
Ok, here is a gaming story:

In my last group, which was run by a terrible DM, we had a DMPC thrust on the party. We complained, and the DM said "She is joining the party and won't take no for an answer. There is nothing you can do about it, and she is going to follow you around and help no matter what you say or do" I said, "Technically, we could just let her follow us into the wilderness, wait until she makes camp, and then murder her in her sleep,"

At which point the DM said "Oh no you can't. As soon as you declare the intention to attack her, that turns you evil. And since I don't allow evil PCs you become an NPC. And as soon you are an NPC you are under my control, and I decide not to go through with the murder. At that point the PC becomes good again and you can have control back, but keep in mind if you become evil again the same situation will occur."

I just laughed it off as another example of my terrible DM being terrible. But since that I have noticed an alarming number of threads on this forum (most involving the creation of undead) that echo that sentiment almost exactly and make me feel that it is actually a common line of thought for DMs rather than one off craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
Second: If you start PvP without prior agreement with the player who is under attack (or you provoke it), congrats, your PC changed into NPC. I have no problem with two PCs fistfighting or even duking it out if that's what they enjoy. But if one of them directly starts - he is overstepping rule 1 and as such - can leave.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by provoking it? I am not sure if I really like this rule or hate it, depending on what you mean by provoke.

For example, in my current game I am playing a "big dumb fighter with a low charisma," and I commonly find myself in a situation where I say something mean and blunt to another player (RPing my low Cha) or do something they don't approve of, so they retaliate by attacking my resources (either stealing from me or trying to turn one of my allies against me through manipulation) as I lack the cleverness or social skills to respond in kind my only recourse is to attack them physically, but the DM has a no PVP rule so I am left at an impasse.

How would your rule on this situation?