Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
Ok, here is a gaming story:

In my last group, which was run by a terrible DM, we had a DMPC thrust on the party. We complained, and the DM said "She is joining the party and won't take no for an answer. There is nothing you can do about it, and she is going to follow you around and help no matter what you say or do" I said, "Technically, we could just let her follow us into the wilderness, wait until she makes camp, and then murder her in her sleep,"

At which point the DM said "Oh no you can't. As soon as you declare the intention to attack her, that turns you evil. And since I don't allow evil PCs you become an NPC. And as soon you are an NPC you are under my control, and I decide not to go through with the murder. At that point the PC becomes good again and you can have control back, but keep in mind if you become evil again the same situation will occur."

I just laughed it off as another example of my terrible DM being terrible. But since that I have noticed an alarming number of threads on this forum (most involving the creation of undead) that echo that sentiment almost exactly and make me feel that it is actually a common line of thought for DMs rather than one off craziness.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by provoking it? I am not sure if I really like this rule or hate it, depending on what you mean by provoke.

For example, in my current game I am playing a "big dumb fighter with a low charisma," and I commonly find myself in a situation where I say something mean and blunt to another player (RPing my low Cha) or do something they don't approve of, so they retaliate by attacking my resources (either stealing from me or trying to turn one of my allies against me through manipulation) as I lack the cleverness or social skills to respond in kind my only recourse is to attack them physically, but the DM has a no PVP rule so I am left at an impasse.

How would your rule on this situation?
You pondered killing a DMPC? Out loud?

Little secret: Use high damage area effects where the DMPC is fighting. They always survive. Never fail a save...because if they did fail the save, well then the DMPC might not survive to feed you the next plot point.

You can't kill a DMPC because that is the framework by which the DM gets to enjoy their gameworld. It's like sundering the PC paladin's holy avenger. You'll never ever ever ever hear the end of it. And the holy avenger always returns.

Warning: The following is bad advice. But it is fun to kick around, and perhaps implement, but only because you enjoy someone else's frustration.

You can use the plot armor as a hickup. Flask throwing fire and acid with irresponsible splash control is highly suggested. Or just being an "absent minded" blaster mage. Just heap the area affects on the DMPC whenever they are surrounded by more than one enemy.

Also make battle plans that put the DMPC in the highest amount of direct damage fire, and then tactically retreat with your team. Once your a good movement distance away, disguised as tactical movement for ranged shots, then shout, "Retreat!!!" and see if the DMPC makes it through. They do. And they might even defeat the rest of the bad guys for you. If this is the case, really chew them out as "not being a team player. They could have died." (yeah right) Tell them that the whole team was planning on drawing the enemies out and kiting them, and that the their lonewolf showboating is dangerous for the team. Then demand that they leave. The DMPC won't, but absent minded stuff like the stuff above, becomes far more plausible when you have constructed the DMPC as an unwelcome and meddlesome combatant who happens to be on their side.

DMPCs really hate being off camera. So splitting up, changing focus to different quests after starting to investigate one, or anchoring a number of PCs to one location through "family" "business" "mentors" and mechanical advantages derived from them is a good way to frustrate the adventuring desires of a DMPC. They will go off screen and finish the quests that you don't want to do. I've seen it happen. I've seen players trapped listening to the tale of the adventures of the great and fabulous Dee'em Piecy, aasimar PC with a Unicorn Mount. Because the players drug their heels on one plot line and pushed the boundaries of another until it bore fruit.

Another option, one which I have never tried, but I think would be an absolute blast is to roll up a character, dump charisma. And take every flaw and feat pertaining physical ugliness there is. And constantly hit on the DMPC. Aberrant spawn deformity half orc. Really push the bounds of it, in a classy way, of course. Like legit Mad Martigan fall in love: recite good and bad poetry to them. Be visually disgusting and revolting and sweet as a little cupid on a cloud. Just enough to grow revulsion and disgust playing your character. If you die, promise to wait for the DMPC in heaven. Force the beauty and beast narrative constantly. And eventually...

You will get talked to out of character. Which is your chance to express how cool the DMPC is. Or complain about having the group space being taken up by a character that cannot possibly have the same solidarity as PCs constantly spying on them. For all the PCs know, the DMPC is a doppleganger. Or maybe it's uncomfortable to share the spotlight with the DMPC, or whatever it is that makes having a mandatory little brother around stink. Explain that being the affectionate PC allows you to be in the spotlight too. You orginally wanted to be an ugly monster working for redemption, but it was difficult to play that character ark when it felt like there was a distractingly out of place character thrust upon you after discussing with the other players what the team composition was going to be.