View Single Post

Thread: Forgotten Prophecies RPG (D20, WIP)

1. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Forgotten Prophecies RPG (D20, WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    One question-what makes this stand out? What makes this special compared to other d20 systems?
    Well, first off, most of what I am about to say was already mentioned in the OP, even if it was a bit unclear.

What makes it unique? Well, first off lets start with what it has in common: It combines a few signature traits from various D20 Systems that I am familiar with: Bounded Accuracy (modified) and Advantage/Disadvantage from 5th Edition, Wounds and Vitality from d20 Star Wars, Defenses and Talents from Star Wars Saga/d20 Modern, and a Skill system with influences from Pathfinder.

Now what should stand out: The system is designed to be as rules-lite as possible for a d20 system, and with a Keep It Simple Stupid philosophy. It puts more emphasis on Skills rather than classes (Which is a huge staple of d20 Systems), as stuff that would normally scale with level (IE BAB and Saves are now Skills) is now tied directly to your skills, thus allowing more customization. Customization in a simple and straightforward manner possible is one of the goals of the system.

Also, the Magic System is designed to be straightforward and uniform with the intent to encourage specialization, thus serving as a limitation to Casters. All Casters have a specialization which makes it easier to cast spells in their School, and much harder for them to cast spells of the opposing school. Mana is used instead of spells per day, and can be recharged repeatedly during resting time, but at the risk of damaging yourself, and with diminishing returns each time. All spellcasters draw their energy from the same source, IE there is no Arcane or Divine casters, all magic functions the same. A madness system is planned to be implemented as either optional rules or specifically as a further limitation to casters.

Really, this was a system designed around my personal tastes and ideas, and was also designed to provide a d20 system for home-brew worlds that I have created. Most d20 systems have stuff that I've found unsatisfactory, confusing, or just flat out didn't like, and this system reflects that. Conversely, many said systems have a few particular traits that I adore, but that the weaknesses of the system take away from, IMO.

So, that is what makes it stand out, or at least what was supposed to stand out.
    Last edited by Durzan; 2016-03-04 at 11:04 AM.