View Single Post

Thread: 5e- the Generalist challenge!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

wink 5e- the Generalist challenge!

Note: although I put time and thought into this challenge, it is primarily an April Fool's joke, and should be read in the spirit of April Fools Day.

A Generalist takes many forms. You could be a fighter who was never very good, but picked up a bit of mage training. You could be a wizard who lost most of your power in an experiment gone wrong. Or you could be someone who was just never exceptional at anything. Ladies of gentleman, I present to you:
    The Generalist Challenge
    The rules are simple: I challenge anyone to complete Lost Mine of Phandelvar (the 5e starter set adventure) playing as a Generalist (description below). The description only goes to 5th level, because that's what you are supposed to be at the end of LMOP. If you have reached 5th level by the end of your adventure, than congratulations, you have completed the Generalist Challenge and you can proudly call yourself a Generalist Master! Good luck!
    Class description:

The Generalist Class
    Class Features
    Hit die: d8
    Proficiencies
    Armor: Light armor
    Weapons: Simple weapons
    Tools: One type of artisan’s tools of your choice
    Saving throws: Intelligence, Dexterity
    Skills: Choose any two
    Equipment
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
    -a) a quarterstaff or b) any simple weapon
    -a) a sling and 20 bullets or b) 20 darts
    -Leather armor
    -a) a scholar’s pack or b) an explorer’s pack
    - A component pouch (no super-cool arcane focus for you!)

Table 1-1: The Generalist

Level Proficiency Bonus Features Cantrips Known Spells Known 1st level Spell Slots 2nd level Spell Slots 3rd level Spell Slots
    1st +2 Spellcasting 2 3 1 - -
    2nd +2 Jack of all Trades 2 4 2 - -
    3rd +2 Fighting Style 2 5 3 1 -
    4th +2 Ability Score Improvement 3 6 4 2 -
    5th +3 Generalist Knowledge 3 7 4 3 1

Spellcasting
    Your spellcasting ability is Intelligence:
    Spell save DC= 8 + proficiency bonus + Intelligence modifier
    Spell attack modifier= 8 + Intelligence modifier
    You know a number of spells, as shown on the Spells Known column of the Class Features table. You learn more spells as you gain levels. When you gain a level, the new spell can be any spell from the wizard spell list that you are capable of casting (in other words, you must have at least one spell slot of the new spell’s level.)
    You have a certain number of spell slots. You can cast any spell you know by expending a spell slot of that spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
    You know two cantrips of your choice from the wizard spell list. At 3rd level, you learn another cantrip.
    Jack of all Trades
    At 2nd level, you can add half your proficiency bonus (rounded down) to any ability check you make that doesn’t already involve your proficiency bonus.
    Fighting Style
    At 3rd level, you adopt a particular style of fighting as your speciality. Choose one of the following options:
    Archery
    You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
    Defense
    While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
    Dueling
    When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a+2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
    Two-Weapon Fighting
    When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.
    Ability Score Improvement
    At 4th level, you may increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or two ability scores of your choice by 1. As usual, you can’t increase an ability score above 20.
    Generalist Knowledge
    At 5th level, you choose between gaining one feat of your choice, or gaining proficiency in three skills of your choice.

So there you have it! Feel free to tell me what you think, and make sure to tell me if you become a Generalist Master!
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-04-02 at 03:17 PM.