Quote Originally Posted by slaydemons View Post
I must point something out before I tell this story, we have people who plan and scheme, and those who go with the flow, I'm somewhere in the middle and the planners do a damn good job, cunning all the way through. My plans tend to make them a bit nervous because when I plan its sort of watching dominoes fall.

Spoiler: Story
Show
A player thought he was being clever and pulling wool over everyone's eyes, and tried to get my character to read a message. however my character believes in intel is key to playing the game. he read the letter to his superior, then got a Master forger to rewrite the letter and got an entire faction kicked out of a city with one letter. out of character that went much better then expected as I was going to use it as a starting point and finish with getting the faction kicked out in time, it happened in a week. a year later from this game and my gm informed me my remade letter was cunning on several levels even she didn't think about until after the letter. Even the player I had outwitted wasn't mad, they gave a clap for the impressive play. While I can't take entire credit for it things went perfectly to my plan using someone else's plan.
I'm not sure I follow; what did re-writing the message accomplish? What was the not-as-clever-as-he-thought-he-was PC trying to achieve? How did he plan for this to work, and what did you actually do to change it?