You did the best you could, and I disagree that they are chaotic stupid. They are more just reckless and wanna be the "big damn heroes" who kill things and stuff.

You get the "biggest damn hero" cake though. Seriously, you have the patience, heroics, and mettle of a freaking saint. LG does not mean being a bleeding heart altruist, you earned that L not from pragmatism but from discipline, and LG loves discipline and the greater good. Risking your own life to save an idiot is one thing, but risking a thousand to save one is not pragmatism, it is knowing that a 1000 lives risking death is not the same as saving one. You are doing whatever deities work you serve!

If I were you, I would treat them IC and OOC the same. You are the Shepard watching the flock. Sometimes it means being kind and nurturing, sometimes it means fighting off the wolves. Some of your sheep are stupid, but with proper guidance they will see the light. Keep calm, carry on.

If you want leadership, ask LoyalPaladin. Hell, Red Fel would even be good here. Obligatory Red Fel Red Fel Red Fel.