Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
Aren't there plenty of people who think they're roleplaying right, but doing it wrong? Not this thread specifically, just in general.

Also, by this metric, I would be roleplaying wrong 100% of the time, and have to retire from roleplay entirely. Asking myself such questions is how I avoid needless antagonism ("It's what my character would do!').
The general rule, I find, is that when it comes to roleplaying your character, only you know whether you're doing it right. There are exceptions and fringe cases, but frequently the issue is more of the mechanics, or interpersonal issues between players (such as antagonism), than of the actual character roleplay.

Further, if you do question yourself, it's because your instincts are telling you you're doing something wrong, and you should probably listen to them. That doesn't mean you're a bad roleplayer, or that you should "retire from roleplay entirely;" it means that, for whatever reason (and there are many), you've strayed from what you believe to be good, solid roleplay, and your instincts are telling you so. That's not your cue to leave the table; it's your cue to fix what's bothering you.