View Single Post

Thread: Fighter Martial Archetype (Warlord)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Fighter Martial Archetype (Warlord)

Fighter Martial Archetype (Warlord)

Making this for a friend to use in a homebrew only game, originally based on the Purple Dragon Knight but I went way into left field for this one. I may need to scale this back but it shouldn’t be scaled back as the terrible PDK.

Level 3
    • Bolster Ally: Whenever you use Second Wind, An ally of your choice within 30’ also gains the benefit. That ally must be able to see or hear you. At levels 10, 15, and 18 an additional ally gains the benefit of your second wind if they can see or hear you.
    • Front-line Leader: You quickly strike out at an enemy that your ally is focused on to show the value of teamwork. As a reaction whenever an ally that is not a Warlord damages a creature within 10’ of you with a weapon attack, you may make a weapon attack against that creature if you are wielding a thrown weapon, melee weapon (if they are within the weapons range), or hand crossbow. At level 10 the range of this feature increases to 20’.

You may use this feature once per short rest. *

Level 7
    • Warlord Cunning: You gain proficiency with two skills of your choice that are Intelligence or Charisma based.

Level 10
    • Charge!: Whenever you use your Action Surge all allies within 30’ of you may use their reaction to move up to their speed. The ally must end closer to an enemy than they started.

Level 15
    • Spit, Grit, and Elbow Grease: Whenever you use indomitable your re-roll adds your constitution modifier. Whenever you use Indomitable you may also use your Second Wind (including bolster ally) at the same time.

Level 18
    • Fury and Determination!: Whenever you use indomitable and fail the re-roll, but you rolled higher than the constitution score of the creature who caused you to use indomitable, your sheer force of will causes a mental backlash and breaks the concentration of that creature.

====

*Font-Line Leader: Actually meant for this to be a short rest mechanic but never added in the short rest mechanic. I would have preceded a *1/per combat* as that makes more sense but I'll take what I can get.

Thinking about allowing the Shove (push) or Disarm Maneuvers replace the attack. I changed the trigger from *attack* to *damage* so this ability takes place AFTER the ally attacks and damages the target. If the ally kills the target you know before using this feature.

If this was to be at-will I would need the fighter to be set up more like the Rogue (or other martials) and work off the attack + attack + bonus damage class build but sadly the fighter isn't created that way...

[tangent]I guess if you made a base warlord class you could set up the class to have extra attack once and then have all their damage be based around Front-Line Leader... Having it scale and such and then you would be free to not worry about extra attack 2 and 3 or MC issues.[/tangent]

Spoiler: Notes
    Show
    Notes

This has utility, survival features, growth/scaling, and late game awesome sauce. Most importantly, allies will fall in love with you. This class isn't all about you but about working with allies to destroy the enemy.

I like giving Indomitable fail safes since 4/6 (3/6 at best) saves are going to suuuuuuck. A high level Warlord using Indomitable on multi target ongoing save spells is the best use but a flying fireball dropping caster will need to think twice or else they could fall. This isn't an auto win by any means... But it is a great deterrent. Late game casters still destroy the Fighter, as normal, but having a fighter (warlord) on your team won't be boring.

This archetype is also quite simple at level 3 and only gets a bit complicated (though nothing compared to casters) once you hit level 10 or 15.

Edit 1:

Took away expertise as I recalled that I don't care much for expertise, I'm giving the Warlord Advantage with the skills they choose. Might change this a bit at some point in the future.