1. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Twilight Warrior Base Class (with alternative casting system) [PEACH]

Zeek0! So glad you enjoyed my feedback, I'm glad it didn't come off as negative- hopefully it's clear that wasn't my intent. You've made some big changes, and I think I love all of them. Just to review a few:

The d10 I think was called for, but I don't think heavy armor is necessary. Like you said, this class has a lithe warrior thing going on, and while I think it's reasonable to give it a d10 to help you be the off-tank if you so choose, heavy armor is moving into the on-tank territory, if you will, which I think you and I both believe the TW really isn't, unless one prioritizes CON.

The lunar shield update is perfect- one thing I would clarify is that you can only have this +1 AC active on a single target at any given time, unless that's not your intent. As written, I can currently spam it out every turn on whomever within 15ft as long as I've got lunar energy. Other than that, spot on.

Celestial Meditation/Rising Sun/Moon: Celestial Meditation as written is fine, your point is reasonable and I've no complaint. One way that you might flesh out Rising Sun/Moon with it is that depending on which Path you take you can also use the CM action to convert all your points to your chosen energy type. Just a thought, do with it as you will. More on the Rising's below.

Constant/Inconstant: Constant got better in the exact right way- its like a ranger's minor feature now, which is totally in line with the power scale I believe you were going for. Inconstant is fine as it is now, was just thinking aloud mostly.

Equinox: Capstones are hard to make for sure. I think with the extra points this should probably suffice, now you can either do one huge blowout sale or two decently phat hits instead.

To minimize bookkeeping, I have made it so that there is no maximum energy cost, only the size of your energy pool. Question for you: do you believe that the reduction of the pool by one will reduce the power of the class noticeably?
    Nah, I think it unlikely. If you have 6 points but can only spend 5 at a time, I don't think it matters much. The only time it would make a difference is when the cap on # you can spend is removed, which I think is only the case when you use Equinox, but with the increased number of temp points, I think it's probably fine. Looking again at the incantations, I think it might have more of an effect than I first realized, but like you said there's a lot of bookkeeping involved already, and since 3/4th casters aren't a thing in 5e, you probably don't want to boost your points pool max up to 6 at 20th level still, understandably. Not sure what the fix is.

I LOVE the change to preparing a select number of incantations without limiting the number known, that's perfect. Gives you the freedom of flexing your muscles and seeing what happens, and if it doesn't go the way you wanted you just try again tomorrow with a new set. Major props for you, great idea.

So the change for the Dusk path 18th level ability is definitely on point. As I noted above, one way to flesh out Celestial is to give each Path the ability to change all their points as that action to their chosen type. This may seem like a big swing, but keep in mind most spell casting classes don't have to worry about an additional resource management, and an action is a tough thing to give up in the first place. Another thought is to instead of the above, potentially give some sort of passive bonus when you have the majority of your celestial points in your chosen path's type of energy. Then again, that doesn't solve the main concern I had, which was that when your spells have run out, you don't have a whole lot of unique options. I realize this is kind of the half-caster's dilemma; besides spells, its often a lot of passive buffs to one thing or another, and for some reason halfers don't get cantrips while 1/3 casters do.... what? That's pretty bizarre.

My thought is this, now that I've seen that you have actually made cantrips for your astromancer, which is baller. Give each path the relevant half of your cantrips. Dusk warriors can cast Shadow Messenger, Lunar Aura, Extinguish (which would remove the relevancy of the tail-end of the level 6 ability, I realize), and Conjure Darkness. Dawn warriors can cast Conjure Light, Resistance, Ignite, and Solar Shard. This is a happy medium between "I have a spell handy" and "I'll swing my sword again", but doesn't radically change the power level AND helps diversify the classes a little in playstyle- Lunar gets a little more shielding, and a little more sneaky, Solar gets a little bit burstier, and grabs some utility in providing light/saving throw buffs. I mean really, how much more half caster does it get?

But that's just a thought, I'd love to hear what you have to say on the matter. This is 100% your class, I'm just spitballing. You've already made some tremendous changes that I think will be very healthy for the class on the whole, and no matter what I'm excited to continue playing as a TW. Thanks for your gracious replies and excellent conversation! Cheers
    Last edited by DeanHavok; 2016-08-10 at 02:51 AM.