1. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Twilight Warrior Base Class (with alternative casting system) [PEACH]

EDIT: This is what I get for not refreshing the page before posting, just noticed your reply. This post I wrote before that so I'll read it and reply to it after this post.

Hey again, just realized I didn't provide many suggestions with my feedback, so it doesn't come off as constructive as I intended haha.

As I mentioned, I think more ways for the TW to use Energy would be cool.

Some things that I though of:
    Bonus/advantage on Intelligence checks (Moon), bonus/advantage on Charisma checks (Sun).
    Increased physical prowess for the Sun (things like increased jump distance for example).
    Understanding Writing / Languages for the Moon.
    Disguise Self for the Moon
    Druidcraft-like plant blossoming for the Sun.
    Playing with gravity could be fun... Pull a creature towards you for Sun, get pulled towards a creature for Moon. Maybe a tether ability similar to the Crown Paladin where you and a creature(s) can't willingly move more than X feet apart.

Thematic ribbon effects I thought of were knowing the time of day, north, etc. I now see the Locate Sun/Moon cantrip could fill this space. Perhaps expand it to tell you the time of day for the Sun, or the time of month (date) for the Moon?

I'm not a fan of the 7th level feature interacting only with Lunar Energy. Perhaps if you use Solar Energy the bound target has advantage on all saving throws, but if they fail you're subjected to the consequences of failure as well?

I also thought of a cool ability, of course you don't have to include it or anything, I just thought it was cool so I'm mentioning it lol.
    Eclipse - Convert all your Celestial Energy to a single type. For a duration (a couple rounds, maybe equal to the amount of Energy converted), whenever you spend Celestial Energy you are healed for a small amount and the Energy Type isn't converted. 1/long rest
    I like this because it helps a front-line with some minor sustain (maybe WIS mod, or amount of Energy spent... It could also provide temp HP at the beginning of rounds instead), and allows for a brief window where you can unload a particular type of Energy. I also think it's very thematic.

As for the Incantations, I've read them over and here's some thoughts.

I would say an Incantation requires an Action, Verbal Components, and a Focus, be it the Astral (symbol, works for both), or the Weapon / Shield. No Somatic, no Materials or component pouches. You can always summon your Weapon / Shield so...

There are a couple editing mistakes (frequently an Incantation says "It" when the target is only Self) I'd be willing to help with if I transcribe them to homebrewery.
    Somewhat related, I like the "Choose one" text, it is very clear in that an Incantation isn't progressive. I suggest making it standard (Conjure Figment for example is written differently)

The steps stack, so casting for example at (4) means I get the effects of (1) and (3) as well, right? However some are a bit strange... For instance Conjure Figment says that by spending (+2) as a bonus action [...] Does this mean that if I spend 3 Energy I can cast a Bonus Action Silent Image that frightens and deals damage for two turns?
    I guess I'm a bit confused with Incantations that have the Bonus Action cast time in one of the steps.

Conversely, there is no way to suppress a previous effect, right? If I want a +1 Magic Weapon I'm stuck with a glowing one?

Guiding Light's Sanctuary effect is contradictory to the underwater restriction of attacks. Also if I use 3 Energy, do I lose my resistance when I attack? I assume the steps also increase the duration, right? So using 4 Energy gives me Sanctuary, Resistance from Elements, and Freedom of Movement for 1 hour, right?

I don't like that Infusion cures conditions as well as Cleansing Glow. I think it would be more thematic if only one was focused on this, curing more conditions at higher steps, while the other remains a healing Incantation. Incidentally, what spell did you use for each of them? Calm emotions suppresses charmed or frightened (but doesn't end them), the Restoration spells have a couple of conditions but they're split between your Incantations. Also Cleansing Glow, if at 3 Energy I target someone that is Poisoned and Paralyzed (Hold Person), can I end both?

I like that there's a divination Lunar Incantation, thematic.

Do the additional castings of Nightshade (or Solar Sphere) also cost an Incantation Slot? I really like the flavor of this one by the way.
    If it doesn't require additional slots Solar Sphere is strong though, 3 radiant flaming spheres for the price of one, that can also be detonated like fireballs is amazing.

Sanctify's last benefit is weird, it doesn't seem to apply. Also, Protection from Evil, Evasion and advantage on all saving throws as a 4th level spell seems pretty good. I can't seem to recall right now, is there an existing spell that does the Evasion + advantage on saves thing?

Searing Beam's wall effect is very strong. Better than a Wall of Fire at one less level. I know it can't be shaped and must be a line, but is wider and longer (covers a 25x100 ft rectangle), requires no concentration, and is radiant damage

I'm also confused by the (+X) of some Incantations... It seems that they want to fill both the role of increasing a spell's level (Infusion's extra healing), and also function as bonus effects you can take without expending an Incantation Slot (Brightblade's smite effect or Shadow Bind).

I noticed a few of the Incantations were similar to some Invocations (except they now incur a slot cost). This, and after going through them and seeing the ones where options are exclusive and some cost, say, 2 Energy makes me think the slot problem I mentioned in my previous post is more apparent. Since Energy is 'free' but slots aren't, it likely would feel like a waste spending 2 Energy when you could've spent 5... The first thing that came to mind was something along the lines of spending less than half your pool on an incantation only uses half a slot? It's dirty though... I'm not sure to be honest, giving them more at will Invocation-like abilities might be enough...

This is getting very long again... I'm sorry
    Last edited by Ze_Azrael; 2016-08-23 at 12:39 PM.