View Single Post

Thread: Character ideas vs group compromise

1. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Character ideas vs group compromise

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    That's why I think knowing motivations is far more important than backstory or planned character personality development. Because just like in the real world, the character develops in conjunction with in-game events. Knowing how your character generally acts and reacts is more important than past or future, except insofar as how the past effects how you act & react, and how you act & react will affect the future.

Character motivations are the key to all in character decision making. Roleplaying.
    I don't even necessarily know motivations beyond a general sense of "I'll find a reason to bite the quest hook" or "This character has chronic hero syndrome."

One of my most successful characters started off as a low-grade scam artist whose motives were usually "find a good tavern to cheat at cards in, get a few good meals, sleep indoors for a while, and make a bit of coin before moving on down the line" who ended up being involved with the leadership of a revolution against a tyrant because of a chain of events that started because he happened to be one of the only four schmucks in the immediate vicinity who could use a sword worth a dang and spontaneously (and somewhat reluctantly) grew a conscience when the s#%& hit the fan.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2016-09-08 at 11:06 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling error
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.