View Single Post

Thread: Noncombat encounters on the road

1. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Noncombat encounters on the road

Quote Originally Posted by Pinjata View Post
    Hey guys,

My PCs will do some serious travelling in my next campaign (Sword coast) and a lot of it will be between small settlements. I do not want to reduce this on "you pass from one town to another", but I want to give them some fluff to chew on between two locations. Perhaps a caravan leader that tells them something about the region, perhaps a ruin that tells them something indirectly about the area, perhaps a carcass of a specific magical beast ... unintrusive things that make a journey a bit more fleshed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Medieval villages were only hours of travel from one to the next, and even important places like market towns were about 20km apart (otherwise the peasants could not bring goods to market). As the party travels they should pass a whole ton of small hamlets, the farmland belonging to those hamlets, peasants working that farmland, etc.

Ruins tend not to survive in populated areas - they are resettled or pulled apart for construction materials.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2016-09-20 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting