Quote Originally Posted by StaleGoat View Post
Am I just being picky or am I just used to better games? I've never had a group so out of sync with each other and boring.
I don't know, I'm only hearing your side of the story and I wasn't there.

But I think you have a definite issue here. You like roleplaying, but your character is limited in that AND you would like to beat some heads, so I propose you bring up some ideas.

First, you could make a new character if you want. If your current character is combat focused and limited to the playstyle, then make a new one and bring them in. Just have Thokk the Barbarian say that he's annoyed with the boring talky talk and bring in a different character who has more social skills. You can engage the other players on their level that way.

Second: You could ask around and see if everyone is okay with pushing for more combat and classic dungeon crawl over bar-talk, and hpolitely ask the players ads individuals to tone down a few things. Be empathetic and tell them things like "When you do this, I feel this" so they understand why you would like them to stop. Don't try to pull "Because that's how it's done" because that is a BS argument and will be told so.

Third: You can propose a change in game system or a new game entirely. This is probably the most radical of the ideas, but it sounds like you are using D&D for a purpose it isn't best suited for. If you literally have to PAY the other characters IN CHARACTER to adventure, then they aren't really playing to D&D's strengths. Instead other games like Vampire, Mage, or even Call of Cthulu are better suited towards the introverted character interaction.

Fourth: MAKE YOUR OWN D&D GAME! WITH BLACKJACK! AND HOOKERS! IN FACT, FORGET THE D&D! In all seriousness, offer to host your own game alternating weeks. See if the players have more fun with your perceived style over the other DMs. I realize you are new to the game, but I'm betting so is the other DM.