Quote Originally Posted by Tzonarin View Post
Oh, heck yes. I had one of these about two years ago. We had to eject a player because:

1) He grossly disrespected a female player who was less mature, saying his character "would effing kill hers if she did such and such". She shut down for the rest of the night.

2) He regularly fought with the DM because he never understood the concept that there is no "winning" or "losing" in D&D. He regularly would try to argue his points OOC, rather than solving the problems in-game. To me, that's basically cheating at D&D.

3) He regularly blew up over something that happened in game, by launching his dice into the wall or something. Granted this all OOC, but his OOC reaction came because he couldn't manage the IC/OOC barrier.

At the end of the day, a "win" is - did the players have a good time playing the game? If a player goes home feeling personally slighted and angry because another player was being a jerk, well, that right there indicates a RL problem.

Intercharacter banter etc etc, to me, is okay so long as the *players* aren't taking it personally. When that happens, there may be some maturity/coaching to happen. If players can get up and shake hands after a rather stressful interparty squabble, then I'd say, that's good RP.

Here's another one:

About a few months ago, the same female player from earlier walked off the game because she got into it with another player. Her character resented my wife's character because my wife was playing a Cleric of Tyr. She, herself, is an atheist and hates any representations of religion. She rattled apart because my wife's cleric was being a cleric...praying, seeking Tyr's blessing and favor, everything you'd expect from a Cleric. So the female player shuts down and basically rage-quits because she feels she's being personally attacked (which she wasn't - she considers any religious expression a personal attack on herself (maturity). So she demanded an apology or she would quit the table.

No apology was given. It was her inability to manage the IC/OOC barrier, like in scenario one.

The sad thing, people often break that fourth wall much to easily in game. Maybe it's because of the investment in the character. This is why I like tools like HeroLab, where I can make a character in 10 minutes and be back in the game. No particular heart-felt loyalty to them (unless I played them for a long while).

Tzo
Whoa! That's crazy!