Imagine you're at work.

Some VIP comes in, drags you into a meeting for whatever reason and starts talking and giving out orders. Nothing you can say will get them to change their minds as you're an entry level (or just above that) scrub, unless it's a very radical or revolutionary idea, and even then you fear of speaking out and embarrassing yourself or angering them because it could potentially cost you your job. And you can't deke out of there. They're at that level of VIP. All you can really do is sit there, listen to their monologue and bob your head like a dashboard chihuahua.

Bravo, you've just met the High Level NPC Encounter IRL. Was that fun? Was that a meaningful encounter? Was your work session made better because of it (I guess in one hand you got out of work, but on the other you're behind on what you were currently working on)? Was this so revolutionary that you feel the need to impart this experience onto your friends in their game of magical dwarves and elves?

Likely not.

This is the main issue I find when it comes to dealing with large power discrepancies between PC and NPCs and I try to avoid this when possible when GMing: Higher level NPCs, esp. in games like D&D with it's scaling, usually have abilities or defenses that make mechanical interaction near impossible.

You kinda just have to sit there, bob your head and wait for the GM to finish narrating stuff so you can continue to actually interact with the game world in a meaningful way. Or the GM has failed to properly let you know that his is a thing you shouldn't interact with and get killed because "realism".

I work nearly 50 hours a week doing tech support. All I want to do is pretend I'm a magical elf in a somewhat consistent heroic world. If I cared for realism, I'd go running in the snow outside.

and I probably wouldn't be playing a magical elf.