1. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Pokemon Player Races for D&D Fifth Edition

I remember those tables from 3.5 now. I could use Excel for that probably, but what I've been using to keep track of them right now is just a long Microsoft Word document. Looking back over them, I can see how it might be confusing. I'm only really showing you all part of what I'm looking at while making these.

This is an example of what I see while trying to decide if I need to add or remove anything.

Spoiler: Part of the Species Point Value doc
    Show
    Mareep (3)
    ---ABSI = +2
    ---Natural Weapon = +1
    ---Hoofed Quadruped = -1
    ---Small = -1
    ---25 move = +0
    ---Thick Coat = +1
    ---Light the Way = +.5
    ---Lightning Resistance = +.5
    ------• Flaaffy (4.5)
    ---------ABSI = +3
    ---------Natural Weapon = +1
    ---------Hoofed Biped = -.5
    ---------Medium = +0
    ---------30 move = +0
    ---------Light the Way = +.5
    ---------Lightning Resistance = +.5
    ------------• Ampharos (6)
    ---------------ABSI = +4
    ---------------Natural Weapon = +1
    ---------------Hoofed Biped = -.5
    ---------------Medium = +0
    ---------------30 move = +0
    ---------------Light the Way = +.5
    ---------------Lightning Immunity = +1

(I actually use an indent in the document instead of dashes. Also that's the reason some of these have probably looked cramped, indents aren't showing up in the post.) And this is what I've been posting.

Spoiler: Mareep
    Show
    Mareep (3)
    Size: Mareep are small size.
    Base Speed: 25
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Constitution or Charisma, and +1 to a different stat of your choice.
    Natural Weapon: A Mareep’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack, likely a head-butt.
    Evolution: Mareep evolve after reaching a certain level of power, you evolve at level 4.
    Hoofed Quadruped: Your species uses four hoofed legs as their primary mode of movement. These species’ hooves are usually not dexterous enough to manipulate or even grab an object. For combat purposes, species with this trait cannot use standard manufactured weapons.
    Diet: You are an herbivore, and eat plant matter.
    Thick Coat: Your fleece is difficult to attack through, your Armor Class is 12 + Dexterity modifier.
    Light the Way: The tip of your tail is luminescent, you may use a bonus action to illuminate or douse it. Your tail sheds bright light in a 20 foot radius and 20 feet of dim light beyond that.
    Lightning Resistance: Your wool absorbs some of the electricity directed at you, granting you Resistance to lightning damage.

Flaaffy (4.5)
    You lose the Thick Coat feature.
    Size: Flaaffy are medium size.
    Base Speed: 30
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Intellect or Charisma.
    Natural Weapon: A Flaaffy’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack, likely a head-butt.
    Evolution: Flaaffy evolve once they attain enough energy, you evolve once more at level 7.
    Hoofed Biped: Your species uses two legs as their primary mode of movement. The hooves at the end of their arms tend to not be able to manipulate or grab onto objects very well. For combat purposes, this species can hold an object between both arms, but cannot use standard manufactured weapons.
    Light the Way: The tip of your tail is luminescent, you may use a bonus action to illuminate or douse it. Your tail sheds bright light in a 25 foot radius and 25 feet of dim light beyond that.
    Lightning Resistance: Your hide is rubbery and resists shocks, you have Resistance to lightning damage.

Ampharos (6)
    Size: Ampharos are medium size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Constitution or Intellect.
    Natural Weapon: An Amparos’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack, likely a head-butt.
    Hoofed Biped: Your species uses two legs as their primary mode of movement. The hooves at the end of their arms tend to not be able to manipulate or grab onto objects very well. For combat purposes, this species can hold an object between both arms, but cannot use standard manufactured weapons.
    Light the Way: The tip of your tail is luminescent, you may use a bonus action to illuminate or douse it. Your tail sheds bright light in a 30 foot radius and 30 feet of dim light beyond that.
    Lightning Immunity: Your hide is rubbery and absorbs shocks, you have Immunity to lightning damage.

Basically, you have everything of the base form, then add anything new for the evolved forms (if you lose something, it's always the first thing under the species name). I do realize I've put their body shape, diet, and natural weapon on each of them (even when there wasn't a change). I don't really have an excuse for that one. There's some that stay generally as they are for all their evolutions, then there are others like any bug that has a cocoon stage. It kind of makes me want to pull my hair out.

Spoiler: You asked Furret! (okay, no one actually asked for this one)
    Show
    Sentret (3)
    Size: Sentret are small size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom. And +1 to another stat of your choice.
    Natural Weapon: A Sentret’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack.
    Evolution: Sentret evolve after storing enough energy, you evolve at level 4.
    Pawed Biped: Your species uses two legs as their primary mode of movement. The paws, claws, or hands at the end of their arms manipulates their environment as well as any human, orc, or elf. For combat purposes, species with this trait can use any standard manufactured weapon.
    Diet: You are a carnivore, and eat meat and flesh.
    Alert: You have proficiency with the Perception skill.
    Keen Eye: Your kind’s eyes are sharp and difficult to evade. You may use the Search action as a bonus action.

Furret (6.5)
    Size: Furret are medium size.
    Base Speed: 35
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, or Wisdom.
    Natural Weapon: A Furret’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack.
    Pawed Biped: Your species uses two legs as their primary mode of movement. The paws, claws, or hands at the end of their arms manipulates their environment as well as any human, orc, or elf. For combat purposes, species with this trait can use any standard manufactured weapon.
    Diet: You are a carnivore, and eat meat and flesh.
    Labyrinthine Recall: Your kind prefer to live in homes of complicated layout, you can perfectly recall any path you have traveled.
    Lithe: Your kind are thin and flexible, you are considered one size category smaller when determining if you are squeezing through a space.

Spoiler: Cleffa
    Show
    Cleffa (2.5)
    Size: Cleffa are small size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to a stat of your choice.
    Natural Weapon: A Cleffa’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack.
    Evolution: Cleffa evolve most frequently during times they are at peace with themselves, you must be at least level 3 to evolve.
    Magic Guard: Your fey powers protect you from certain dangers. You have Resistance against damage that does not involve an attack roll or saving throw. (For example: If you were engulfed by a gelatinous cube, you would halve the acid damage you take at the beginning of your turn.)

Clefairy (4.5)
    Size: Clefairy are small size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Intellect, Wisdom, or Charisma.
    Natural Weapon: A Clefairy’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack.
    Evolution: Clefairy evolution is triggered by exposure to a moon stone, you must be at least level 5 to evolve again.
    Moon’s Flight: Your kind can store moonlight in the wings on your back to fly through the air. You gain a fly speed of 20 that lasts up to 10 minutes and requires your concentration. Once you use this feature, you must complete a long rest to use it again.

Clefable (7)
    Size: Clefable are medium size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Constitution, Wisdom, or Charisma.
    Natural Weapon: A Clefable’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack.
    Supernatural Hearing: Your kind has been rumored to be able to hear a pin drop from over half a mile away, but they have never seen fit to correct the world at large. You can cast the Clairvoyance spell with the “hearing” option. It requires your concentration and lasts up to 5 minutes, but you do not need to provide material components and it only requires 1 minute to cast. You must complete a long rest to cast this spell again.
    Surface Tension: Your kind is able to walk on the surface of liquids without falling through. You do, however, still touch the liquid and possibly take damage from being in contact with it.

Something tells me Magic Guard will need tweaking, I can't remember too many instances of being able to take damage without either of those rolls going out. But I'm sure there's more than I can recall. I know of: 1) taking damage from falling and the environment, such as lava. But not traps, because most of those have attack rolls or saves. 2) swallowed alive like in the example. 3) damage from Magic Missile. 4) reoccurring damage from spells like Witch Bolt.
    I marked it down in my notes with a value of 1.5, but I'm wondering if that's too strong still?

Spoiler: Audino
    Show
    Audino (5.51)
    Size: Audino are medium size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Constitution. +1 to Dexterity or Wisdom. And +1 to a stat of your choice.
    Audioscopic: The feelers on your ears are very sensitive to sound. You have proficiency in the Perception skill when the check relies on hearing. You are also able to read the current emotional state of a creature you can touch with a feeler.
    Healer: You have proficiency in the Medicine skill or with the Herbalism Kit.
    Blessed Touch: Audino are able to fortify the body with just a touch. You can cast the Heroism spell at level 3 and Lesser Restoration at level 5, you can cast each once, then must complete a long rest to cast them again. Upon character creation, you choose Intellect, Wisdom, or Charisma to use as your caster stat for these spells.
    Mercy: Your kind have always preferred pacifism, and that instinct has long woven itself into Audino blood. Any damage you intentionally deal may be considered non-lethal.

Spoiler: Zorua
    Show
    Zorua (3.5)
    Size: Zorua are small size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Strength, Dexterity, Intellect, or Charisma. And +1 to a stat of your choice.
    Natural Weapon: A Zorua’s natural weapon is a slashing claw attack.
    Evolution: Zorua evolve after time and practice with their illusions, you evolve at level 7.
    Pawed Quadruped: Your species uses four legs as their primary mode of movement. Their front paws may be able to manipulate small objects with practice. For combat purposes, species with this trait cannot use standard manufactured weapons.
    Diet: You are an omnivore, and can eat most of the things an herbivore or carnivore can.
    Illusionary Disguise: You are able to use your magic to make yourself appear to be another creature. You make yourself – including your clothing, armor, weapons, and other belongings on your person – look different until this effect ends or you use your action to dismiss it. You can seem to be a creature you know well, that is also the same size category as you. The effects of this feature are purely visual and don’t have a physical presence in the world. Creatures and objects will pass through the disguise if you appear as a creature larger than yourself, and things would bump into you while seemingly in midair if your disguise makes you appear smaller. To discern that you are disguised, a creature can use its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Investigation check (DC = 8 + your spellcasting modifier + your proficiency). Choose Intellect, Wisdom, or Charisma as your spellcasting stat for this feature during character creation. The disguise lasts as long as you concentrate on it and takes 1 minute to don, as you focus on the details of the illusion.

Zoroark (6.5)
    Size: Zoroark are medium size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity or Intellect.
    Natural Weapon: A Zoroark’s natural weapon is a slashing claw attack.
    Diet: You are an omnivore, and can eat most of the things an herbivore or carnivore can.
    Disguise Mastery: Through maturity and practice with your illusions, you’ve grown more adept with your natural abilities. You may appear to be a creature one size category larger or smaller than you really are with the Illusionary Disguise feature.
    Hybrid Movement: If you are holding nothing in your paws, you may run on all fours to increase your speed. You can use the Dash action as a bonus action if you aren’t carrying anything in your paws.

Spoiler: Minccino
    Show
    Minccino (3.01)
    Size: Minccino are small size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, or Charisma. And +1 to another stat of your choice.
    Natural Weapon: A Minccino’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack.
    Evolution: Minccino evolve with exposure to a shiny stone, you must be at least level 5 to evolve.
    Cute Charm: As a reaction after being hit with an attack or targeted with a spell, you may cast the Charm Person spell on the attacker. Your caster stat for this spell is Charisma, and the target doesn’t get advantage for you or your companions fighting them on the saving throw. You must complete a long rest to use this feature again.
    Cleanliness: You are able to produce the cleaning effects of the Prestidigitation cantrip by batting the creature, object, or area with your broom-like tail. The effects of this feature are non-magical and don’t fade after an hour.

Cinccino (5.51)
    Size: Cinccino are small size.
    Ability Score Increase: +1 to Strength, Dexterity, or Charisma.
    Natural Weapon: A Cinccino’s natural weapon is a bludgeoning slam attack.
    Technician: Your kind knows size isn’t everything and can use smaller weapons to their advantage. Increase the damage die of your natural weapon, ranged weapons without the Heavy property, and melee weapons with the Light property by one. (Only increase the damage of weapons by a maximum of one die. A dagger wouldn’t become a 1d8 if thrown.)
    Last edited by Rune Knight; 2017-01-06 at 05:36 AM.
    Pokémon player races for D&D's Fifth Edition.