Bethany tries to ignore the man, following the others inside the cozy restaurant called "Emily's". Inside, the place smells like baking bread and frying eggs, though it is mostly empty. The interior has a decor likely from the 20's, with checkered marble floor, and stained redwood walls. There is a long silvery marble bar, tended by a young man with a shaved head and a waxed handlebar mustache. The server, dressed like the waiter in black vest white shirt and yellow tie, greets the four of you, and shows you to a table by the window. From where you sit, you can see the man still watching you from over the brim of his newspaper. The others seem completely oblivious to this of course.

The girls chat about their food, while Bethany tries hard not to pay attention to the man. The others seem to notice Bethany's distracted focus, but do little more than tease her for it. Eventually the man leaves the bench, while Bethany is not looking. Breakfast passes without any further incident, and the food Bethany orders is pleasing, though not nearly as well enjoyed as the drinks the older girls get themselves.

Finally, the four leave Emily's and make their way back to the apartment. Of course, the path back takes the girls in the opposite direction by which they came, at least as far as Bethany remembers, but they still somehow back on their block.

About 10 yards from the stairs to their apartment, there is a call from behind, "Excuse me miss! Excuse me! I think you dropped this!" It is the man from the park, jogging towards the girls with a brown wool scarf held above his head. In fact, it is one of Bethany's scarves, though she does not remember taking it with her this morning.

The others stop, to allow him to catch up, and when he arrives, slightly out of breath, he holds the scarf out for Bethany to take. "Hoo, I think you dropped this while you were walking," between short gasps for air.