View Single Post

Thread: Buffed up Eldritch Knight

1. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Buffed up Eldritch Knight

ok so it was a simple shift, but it definitely upped the power of the EK to hit higher burst damage, allow with caution.

War Magic
    Starting at 7th level when you use the attack action, you may cast a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action in place of one of your attacks once per attack action. Additionally if you use your action to cast a spell, you can make a weapon attack as a bonus action.

The only real issue that i had with the 10th level feature was that it was just a little too late.

Improved War Magic
    Starting at 18th level once per turn when you use the Attack action, you may cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action in place of two of your attacks.

The intent was to help the preservation of the bonus action, while not completely loosing the reigns. The main reason i wanted to free up the bonus action was so that a twf EK can be just as valid as the sword+board and gwf. By 20th level the EK to feel like an actual fighter archetype.

The side effect of the above changes achieved my intended results as well as bringing up the EK to what felt like a comfortable level for an archetype that is a self-proclaimed mage-knight.

Sorry about the super late response.
    Last edited by Gr7mm Bobb; 2017-03-11 at 12:48 PM.