Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

I proposed a slight tweak to the rules to reconcile the discrepancy between the 3.0 Astral Plane having "no gravity" and the 3.5 version having "subjective gravity": the ability to choose "no gravity" as a possible direction for "subjective gravity", as "no direction" is still a valid direction. Helio approved this house rule for the purposes of this contest, but if I understand her ruling correctly, it's restricted to only Astral Dancers.

To make things easier, consider Astral Dancers to have a class ability called "No Direction" at 1st level (not to be confused with BSB or NKOTB). And to set my mind at ease, you may want to consider that Astral Dancers can share this ability with familiars, animal companions, special mounts, and any companion/cohort/mount that is obtained via a class feature or feat.

Thus, any other non-Astral-Dancer creature that finds itself on the astral plane needs to pick a direction for gravity, and subsequently falls in that direction.
I was thinking more that anyone can pick "no direction" if they want, allowing them to "hover" in subjective gravity planes, but that possibly only Astral Dancers can then "fly" by force of will in that "no direction" gravity. Yes, it's homebrew, but it's needed to make this mess of a class function under 3.5 rules. Also it actually gives them something that no-one else can do.

I'd rather not have to think too much about how momentum works (or doesn't) on subjective gravity planes when you change the direction. Going from falling at 300ft/round and then turning off gravity really shouldn't make you stop moving, but... probably technically does, by RAW.