1. - Top - End - #190
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    A lot of words don't perfectly match their etymology (etymology should mean "The study of truth" but actually means "The development of the meaning of words", for example.), so it's not surprising that this one didn't/doesn't/whatever.
    I wasn't aware of this, but, apparently, in Latin it only meant nauseating. So, you are arguing that the etymological meaning still is the right one.

In general, I'm not convinced that nauseous doesn't mean both nauseated and nauseating in English, simply because three dictionaries out of three I checked, as well as its current use, say it means both.

Maybe it has a restricted meaning locally where you live, and another locally restricted meaning where Bohandas lives? But it has been used with both meanings (nauseating since 1618, nauseated since at least 1839; in 1613 the word was used for someone who often suffered from nausea) for a very long time.

I get the feeling that the different meanings developed in different language areas (nauseating being the everyday (or higher language) use, and nauseated being used in the specialized medical jargon and dripping into the common speech).
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2017-06-20 at 11:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).