Hi guys!

Thanks Kurald Galain for making this guide. I read it up and down and still refer to it constantly.

Was hoping that I could get some advice from fellow Magus players. I've been working on my first Magus, but soon as I read up on them I instantly fell in love. Mixing blade and magic is one of my favorite ways to play in any game. I find myself enthralled by the sheer flexibility of the Magus, and that they can be extremely competent even unsupported, unlike my other favorite class, the Rogue (though, my heavy rogue can handily take down targets alone, but it's the only build for them I've found that works, and gets odd glances from DM's and players alike being very atypical).

Anyway, I'll try to explain what I'm going for and what I've done towards that end, and also why so people can understand, so it'll be a bit of a wall of text, but I'll sum it up at the end.

Our party is small, and I'm trying to make my Magus competent in both their spells and maneuvers, as well as in frontline combat (damaging). So really, a bit of jack of trades.

To save on point buy, I've built a Tiefling Dex Magus landing at 8/19/14/16/10/7 (20pts) for my attributes. I've chosen the Blade Bound and HexCrafter archetypes for a kickass self upgrading, invulnerable weapon, as well as early access to flight and some extra debuff spells/abilities. Spell recall didnt seem a huge loss, as a Bladebound magus has fewer arcana to dish out, even though the Tiefling favored class still brings back barely above normal, I havnt asked my DM if I can just call it even.

Were currently level 3, so I obviously have the Weap. Finesse and Dervish Dance feats to make my dex build usable, but I'm having a very difficult time choosing which feats/arcana to pick up down the road. Or rather, when to pick them up, as I've made a shortlist of the ones I know I want, or would like.

At level 5, I really want to greatly expand my ability to consistently use spells, and am looking to pick up both Wand Wielder, as well as Spell Scars. I've talked to my GM, and being that Spell Scars leaves your offhand "free", and do not need to handle the scroll like scar, it can be used with Spell Strike/Combat. Wands will be dedicated to the level 1, perhaps lvl 2 spells I will cast at least once every combat, such as Shield, True Strike and Vanish.

Between these two, this will free up my Magus to allow her to instead prepare a wider variety of spells, and carry situational spells that are to be used less frequently in the form of Spell Scars (such as support/buff spells that may be useful, but not always). I really want to maximize the number and variety of spells I can use.

At level 7, I KNOW I will pickup Intensified spell to keep my Shocking Grasp relevant. I have taken the Magical Lineage trait so it will stay as a level 1 spell. This, once I can cast a few more of them, will be my go to "nuke" spell when I just want to hit something hard.

I will also take Lunge at level 9 for obvious reasons. As a Dex Magus, my AC will be great, and hitting things as reach is a huge enabler.

Beyond this, I've isolated an oodle of feats/arcana that I believe would support my build.

Accurate Strike: Because hitting things is good
Flamboyant Arcana: countering AoO's is good! But it's low on my list.
Hasted Assault: Haste is excellent. Always.
Misfortune: Very powerful debuff
Spell Shield: Potentially avoiding a powerful attack can save your life
Close Range Arcana: Enable many more spells to be used with Spell Strike/Combat

These are the feats I've plucked out, but cannot decide at what levels I should pick them up. There are also very likely other feats/arcana I should look at, but these jumped out at me.

Do note however that I've never had a campaign go past lvl 10, they usually die off well before that. I have a feeling however that this one may endure.

TL;DR

Condensing the above, I'd like to make a jack of all trades Magus leaning towards combat, maximize the number and variety of spells I have at my disposal, and still be solid and competent. I have picked a few feats that will directly benefit this, specifically the Dervish Dance line, and Wand Wielder/Spell Scars for spell count/variety. The rest, however, is very up in the air, at least as far as when things should be picked up.

If anyone is willing to give me some pointers, I would greatly appreciate that.

Bonus Question!

Is there a way to store/prepare MORE cantrips? Theres a few that I would rather like to have on hand, but not always, and rarely worth while to wait a full day to change my prepared cantrips to use.

Thanks!