Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
Escapism can be about anything that it's different from your regular day-to-day life. A person who spends hours running down innocent pedestrians in GTA5 and then escaping from the cops is still getting escapism from that, and there's certainly nothing heroic, good, excellent or praiseworthy about it.
Well, better that than the real world certainly.

Maybe I'm overly pedantic, but I just don't see the appeal of a world without consequence. Because it means nothing you do actually matters. The world does not change for the better if you work to do so, and it does not become worse if you actively walk the dark path.

Now, if you say a world where the PC has impunity, that makes more sense. Lots of people would love to take consequential actions for which they, themselves, would receive no direct punishment, ever.

... Is that precisely the kind of thing that Undertale was written to parody? Or to critique?

I really ought to play that game at some point; I'm just afraid it'll ruin all the other games I play where fighting monsters is par for the course.

Respectfully,

Brian P.