Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Either way, now I feel like kind of an idiot for the time I spent talking myself into asking her, or the time I spent all happy that she'd said yes, or the time I spent feeling nervous and realising she wasn't going to answer. And given I'm almost certainly never going to see her again, there's no room for any sense of closure. Even if you're right and I'm even more socially maladjusted than I thought and she'd just been letting me down easy, it'd be nice to actually hear that instead of just being shrugged off like nothing.
Lots of people say something just to be polite and avoid seeing that they've upset someone. Plenty more will have vaguely good intentions, but not really be particularly arsed about followtrough. That's just something that happens. People can be easily sidetracked, and often just lazy.

(Also, if you don't mind me asking. You mention being trans. Do you generally present publicly as male or female? If the former, your experience is incredibly typical. Taking a deep breath and realizing that you're not uniquely messed up can help you stop beating yourself up for being a somehow defective human being.)