View Single Post

Thread: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

1. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Pros:
    +10 Str
    +10 Con
    +2 Dex
    +2 Wis
    Full BAB (all 4 HD)

That's more than just hitting moderately well. That's a +5 bonus over what you could expect any similarly-priced statted Str-based character to obtain.

That bonus means less over time, as Wild Shape and poly any object come into play, but that's when the freedom of movement starts to shine.

All-day flight is available to Warlocks at level 6. That's where I think this guy should sit.

Here's a sample build:

Spider Eater 4 / Barbarian 3 (pounce totem) / Fist of the Forest 3 / Bear Warrior 10

Barbarian 3: Lion Spirit Totem (for Pounce); Trapslayer ACF (to find traps with Survival and kill them with BAB).
    Fist of the Forest: nice Unarmed Strike damage (take Beast Strike to add claw damage to unarmed strikes); add Con to AC (and you have +10 Con).
    Bear Warrior: add another large bonus to your already absurd Strength, and get more attacks.

Bumping the Spider Eater to LA +2 would allow this exact build, but with 2 fewer levels of Barbarian (removing Uncanny Dodge and Trapslayer). Still quite competitive, but not totally overshadowing the basic Barb 4 / FotF 3 / Bear Warrior 10 / whatever 3.

A Meldshaper or Martial Initiator could be even more powerful.

I agree with most of this analysis, but I feel it neglects the huge hit to Int and lack of manipulative appendages.

Skills matter. Unless you put an 18 into starting Int, you're likely to be only getting 1 skill point/level.

I'm on the border between LA +2 and LA +1, but I think I'll vote LA +1.