View Single Post

Thread: The Orville

1. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Orville

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'll admit it's second hand, but given who's making it I wouldn't doubt it. I can't remember the specifics because I'm tired from work, but some of the jokes are kinda sexist, and the outfits. Also the idea that the captain is clearly a bumbling buffoon and the lady second should be the actual captain. General stuff like that.

I should probably watch this to be 100% sure, but I've got a rough week of work and my time is a bit more precious than that.
    Having watched it, I didn't note any sexist jokes (unless you consider the whole divorce plot thread inherently sexist for... some reason I can't fathom; it's a real stretch) and Captain Mercer really doesn't come off as a bumbling buffoon. Every one of the main characters except arguably the navigator (a man) contributed to their survival and success in a very real way, him included.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "He has a gun, but we have something even better. Seat belts." *Slams space brakes*
    The episode was going out of its way to have Commander Grayson (the captain's ex) save the day so that he'd have a reason not to immediately accept her transfer off the ship, but it wasn't like he grossly dropped the ball on anything. It was her idea that ultimately won the day, but they never would have gotten to that point without the whole rest of the away team and bridge crew.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2017-09-12 at 08:35 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein