Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
I have not got the box yet, but it does seem very inspiring.

I did noodle around online and found out Neave's points. I think she would make a fine replacement for the Knight-Venator. He has never quite inspired me--just seems like so little damage output, and his one unreliable special ability.

Yeah, the Hammerstrike force does seem expensive. And to run it I would use Hammer Prosecutors, which I do not have, so the idea of a list that just has a bunch of units seems nice.

And walking up with my Protectors seems workable since then they can stick with my Lord-Celestant with his buffs.

Which reminds me, what do people think of crossbow vs. bow judicators? I have crossbow guys I converted from extra crossbows and liberators that came in the battleforce. I think the look quite nice, and like the idea of them dropping in on someone to shoot them up. On the other hand the bow guys can sit in the back and shoot--but I will have the prosecutors and raptors for that. And the crossbows do do so much more damage, especially with the special one.
Neave seems pretty good but delivering her to combat is pretty unreliable and she doesn't do buffing, so if you can't get her in she feels a bit wasted. At least the Venator is always going to do damage until he dies. But, if you get her in, whoo boy she's a freaking blender.

I like Crossbows more than most people, but Bows are way way superior. Even with Crossbows you'll want your Prime to use the Shockbolt bow because it's just that good. Crossbows pair nicely with Scions of the Storm - just always keep them in Reserve and when they come in they'll be in range. But you often won't get to use the extra shots, so it's a bit iffy. Good against hordes, though, and that's becoming the meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
Used to collect and paint Warhammer Fantasy Battle figures, and came across Age of Sigmar recently, and it sparked my interest in figurines again...
Plus... am I right that most of the rules are available free this time around, and that smaller(ish) armies can be used? Both would be a big plus to me trying to actually play it now.
One other thing I was curious about: have there been any changes to older models, like goblins? And how well do the "just fit the pieces together!" figures work? One thing that sometimes annoyed me was when even after gluing some models would have remarkably large gaps that required a frustrating amount of putty(saurian warriors being a big one, iirc).
Welcome, maybe! AoS is very fun and exciting right now, from my personal experience anyway. Lots of armies that are viable and lots of different missions and army archetypes. I never played Fantasy but I'm all in on AoS lately.

Goblins are quite good at the moment. Pure Gobbos won a big tournament recently, and pairing them with other Destruction armies is very powerful as well. I would tend to shy away from "legacy" models (that is, models that are no longer sold by GW and being phased out), but there are plenty of old sculpts that are still considered mainline and quite good.

As far as the gaps thing goes, the quality of the sculpts have, imo, gone up quite a bit and I rarely find any holes I need to plug. Depends on the model, of course.

But yeah, if you're interested, take a look through the rules. The base rules and rules for every model are free online, and I'm sure any GW or FLGS would be happy to have you come in and play a test game. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here as well.