1. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIV - We are the Geek Pantheon

Quote Originally Posted by dsollen View Post
    As to the arguments about Roys strength, I would not raise it above 29! I was the one that originally pointed out the argument about Roy being 'as strong as' the Giant, but as was pointed out on this forum we don't have a good way of explaining how Roy's strength got so high. Given that fact, and the potential ambiguity of Roy's statement and the fact that Roy could have simply misjudged her strength (if he has 28 and she 29 strength isn't it possible he wouldn't notice the 1/29 difference in strength level's between them?). I'm not going to fight a str of 29, but that is enough of a stretch that arguing a 29+ is just too large a suspension of disbelief for me.
    About Roy's STR, I believe one of our premisses here is that the characters are capable to access their own stats, and usually are speaking face value, unless they are clearly lying or wrong.

That said, I believe Roy is one of the most "stats-savy" characters, and would be reasonable for him to be able to calculate her strenght bonus based on her weapon type, size and taking a few hits. Or he could just have assumed she had STR 29. The catch, I think, is that, for combat effects, and STR checks, both STR 28 and STR 29 have the same +9 bonus, making them essentially "the same STR" for most purposes.

With that in mind, it would be not that much of a stretch to imagine that Roy could consider that Bertha was "as strong as he is" if they had the same bonus. Thus, maybe his STR should be 28+, not 29 or 29+.

Thoughts about this?

PS: On an afterthought, I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here...
    Last edited by D.One; 2017-09-15 at 08:56 AM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"