Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
No one asked you to. The pretending is in the roleplaying. In my experience, sexuality is not something that's ever really explored at the table, or expected to be a thing at the table. So it makes sense to be apprehensive about making it an aspect of your character that comes up often enough to worry about making things awkward.
I think this varies too widely from table to table to make such sweeping statements about it. It certainly comes up regularly in my groups. (At least in the sense of characters flirting and having relationships).
And, sexuality coming up might just be as wholly innocent and natural as talking about weekend plans with a significant other.

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
We should all advocate for people to have power over their own lives, to determine for themselves what makes them happy and healthy.

This includes people's right to think sex with people with certain equipment is gross.
Sex with them? Possibly. The fact they have it? No. Two different things, the statement of your character was the latter.
I mean, alright, of course, there should be the right to think it, freedom of thought and all. But not the right to say it without justified repercussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Segev
When the guard refuses the male bard because he's straight, that's seen as "oppression." When the female bar wench refuses the male barbarian because she's a lesbian, that's seen as "woman power."

Unless it isn't, and it's just because people have preferences. "Not into that" happens. The successful cassanovas and femmes fatale tend to not just be good at seduction, but also at finding seducible targets.

And I can accept you without approving of your actions or preferences. You are not your libido. (If you are, that is a personal problem that I would rather stay far, far away from.)
Alright, now we ventured far into strawman territory. Being rejected by someone because of their sexuality is not oppression, and I have never seen anyone honestly claim that. Now, if, in a setting that is ostensibly equal sexuality-wise, same-gender flirtation never works, but other-gender flirtation has a reasonable success rate (Over a few dozen instances at least), I might understand someone crying foul play - for the trend, not for the specific instance.

And, just to be clear, where is your line? In my gaming groups it is rather usual to have OOC chats beforehand (As we are all something close to friends at least). I'd have thought that to be a usual thing? It certainly also was in all groups I have heard of or witnessed enough. To maybe give some hypotheticals: If, in that situation, I mentioned plans for the next day with my girlfriend, on which side would that fall, and would it fall on another side if I talked about my boyfriend instead? If I am freshly in love, and talk about my new girlfriend, while you knew another player in the round was my boyfriend, and he seemed not to mind that fact, on which side of the line would that fall?
None of this is actually sexual (Just, talking about relationships). But all of it are things that I know people who say "no, I accept you, but" somehow treat as such. As more taboo than the alternatives. I will not stop being the way I am - and I don't wanna hide it, and just share important parts of my life with friends. People who make the same statements as you misconstrue this as something else - can you at least understand why such a statement might make us wary, if the above things have been shouted down as "shoving sexuality in someones face"?