Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
My original definition of Player Agency was flawed for much the same reason: because I created my definition based on which forms of Player Agency I valued.

So, I suppose, the question is, is there a way to optimize the experience to produce the maximum feeling of Agency?

The part of Agency I care about is that the PCs be able to do everything their characters are capable of doing. This is why I have a strong desire for good rules, and/or, on the flip side, a GM who is open to creative solutions, and who makes good rulings. I've played under dozens (perhaps 100+?) GMs, and I've only met one whose rulings were consistently acceptable.
I guess that is an issue which complicates what might otherwise seem as such an easy thing; that we value different forms of PA.

I guess you will know what my answer to your questions is already; you tailor the game to the players in a way that grants them the type of agency they are interested in.

So for you, I will simply make an adventure with a clearly defined problem without any thought as to what character you will have. Then it is up to you to interact and try to solve this problem in which ever way you desire based on your character's capabilities and the given game rules. Did I understand your preferences correctly?

IMO, this is an issue of GM skills, to make sure the adventure is varied in terms of what types of options / solutions that have what types of consequences attached. Of course, then again, usually, legal options don't have "go to jail" as a potential consequence. But I'm not sure to what extent it's related to Player Agency - and, certainly, if the module is written before the character is selected or created, it would be difficult for the GM to intentionally limit Agency without appearing either a skilless amateur or a railroading ****.
I believe it is difficult if not to write but to run a module without railroading. At least that has been the case for the modules I've read. There are just too many points where I think "hmmm, if the characters do this instead, the whole module ends here".

You are right though, I think, that GM skill factors heavily into this equation.

Yeah, I'd rather the GM not know the character even then. That removes any bias the GM might place into writing the campaign.

If there is a problem (say, the GM has included nothing but constructs and undead for several sessions for a sneak-attack Rogue build), we'll address it live.
You don't think it is too easy to end up with the problem of the GM writing a campaign based primarily on adventure hooks a Good character would be attracted to only to find you bringing an Evil character into it and thus invalidating all the hard work?