1. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Blood of the Coven has a new archetype for magus, as well as a handful of new curse spells (one of which the magus gets natively).
    Interesting, I had missed that one.

The main problem of the hexbreaker is the extreme rarity of curse effects. You can basically play through an entire campaign without encountering one, even if your GM is very lenient on the otherwise-undefined "curse-style effect". And even when the hexbreaker's counter is triggered, it has about a 50% chance to fail.

However, the archetype doesn't give up much to gain this effect, so it falls under "sure, why not?" At least it doesn't lose spell combat or arcane pool this time, right? Of course the two new arcana are entirely pointless.

The new air curse spell has the problem that at lower levels, it's unlikely to do much (if it doesn't force the enemy to land it's basically wasted) whereas at higher levels the party can probably fly by themselves, so it's not very good. The water curse is pretty decent in a ship-based campaign, but otherwise aquatic opponents are likely capable of waterbreathing anyway.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2017-11-15 at 09:22 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!