Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
This might be a weird question, but how do I start talking with my therapist about actually serious stuff? I'm so used to downplaying my struggles so people don't think I'm completely crazy that I have a hard time talking about anything serious with my therapist which is obviously counterproductive to therapy. I trust her, so it's not just a matter of needing more time to open up to her, it's that I would feel weird to just suddenly drop my "high functioning" facade, if that makes sense? (I have severe social anxiety, so I'm second-guessing literally everything I say and worry a lot about appearing weird or saying something inappropriate.) I'd also like to start talking about trauma with her - she knows that Something Happened when I was a kid, but nothing more - but again, I'd feel weird to just start talking about that after barely mentioning it for a year. So, any advise? (That is not just "just do it" 'cause with my anxiety that's basically impossible.)
Start by telling them this. Many therapists are going to be happier with you developibg trust first and waiting to begin real delving until a few sessions in.