Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
Start by telling them this. Many therapists are going to be happier with you developibg trust first and waiting to begin real delving until a few sessions in.
Yeah. I've been told (by therapists) that this is a really, really common experience for them. They are generally very happy to reach that point - because it means you trust them, and because it means that you are on the verge of taking another step to getting better. So any therapist worth their salt will be happy however you choose to tell them.

Plus, it's not actually weird to wait a year before delving into stuff like that. A patient-therapist relationship is a relationship like any other. You don't start a friendship with divulging all your deepest secrets. You build up to it. Usually that goes much faster with a therapist because you're already predisposed to trusting them, but it still takes time.

Writing it down may be a good idea. Not a full-length novel or anything, but something simple like your post from here? I actually think you could share just that (with minor tweaks) and get good results.
Would it be easier or harder for you to read it out loud or to hand it to them for reading?

Also, would it help you to ask permission before "just" doing it? "Is it okay if I bring up something new that I've been struggling with saying?" or something like that. They will most definitely say yes, but it could maybe help you get over that barrier.

Or can you start talking about your fear of lowering that barrier, instead of jumping straight to dropping it? They can maybe help you find ways to talk about it, if you let them. " I'd like to start talking about trauma, but I'd feel weird just talking. Do you have any suggestions?"