Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
I wonder if there is a consensus among historians for why the small crossbows were not being used by ancient Greek soldiers.
I don't think their crossbow prods were efficient enough. The composite and later steel prods of late medieval Europe seem to be (though we still don't understand precisely how they worked) much more powerful than anyone anywhere else, with the possible exception of some in China which also seem to have had remarkable properties.

And could the reason for the lack of a sight be because early crossbows shot with so little force that bolts tend not to land straight where the sight would indicate anyways? Or maybe because it would cause the crossbowman to have to put his eye way too close to a potentially dangerous string?
The latter. Same is true for a lot of early firearms where many sparks and fire comes out of the priming pan. Tricky to aim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkbSTyT1COE

As for the other question about different animals hides for leather, one thing I keep seeing all the time in primary sources is reference to some kind of buffalo hide.

G