Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
"You shouldn't have to think about it." is one of the most stupid and offensive points you can possible take. Considering that doing the opposite of that is why we have a modern society with modern values at all, it's astonishingly ignorant and blatantly anti-intellectual.
Hm.

Almost all the laws you approve of will align with gut feeling. Almost all the ones you disapprove of derive from pragmatism.

Clearly, that's opinion, but I really do urge you to check. Of course, you might be one of those who consider something like the 'three strikes' law a masterstroke of modern law. In which case I expect you twirl your mustache too.

But I see what you're trying to say (I think). Lynch mobs also responded to gut feeling. That, however, is taking it out of context. I also said 'anything you wouldn't tell your mother about', among other things. 'Anything you need to think of a way to justify'.

So please, if you want to be outraged, please at least know what I'm saying first.

I maintain: Morals are largely selfexplanatory and intuitive. But I will grant you hate makes people do things that - in the moment - might seem selfexplanatory and intuitive. However, they wont go home at the end of the day and brag to their mothers that 'yea, we lynched that guy and no mistake. Ain't no way he'll look at another man's woman that way ever again!'

Or if they do, they'll do so while twirling their mustaches. And propably their mothers will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
My god, apparently my roommates are evil people. They both compulsively twirl their moustaches when thinking about things.
Almost certainly.

Not to be confused with beard stroking. Important distinction.