Quote Originally Posted by Becca Stareyes View Post
This is interesting enough that it does get you thinking.
I'm glad you're enjoying it! I hope you don't mind that I don't have much to say on most of your thoughts.

(I admit the undersea stuff fascinates me, but that is because I am weird and find the deep ocean delightfully strange. -snip-).)
There's plenty of possibilities there. I want to focus on the land civilizations for now, since that's where 90-odd percent of games and stories happen, but I'll get back to the briny depths eventually.

Which also gets one thinking about air pressure and if that is a thing in this world, or it's just another thing that the magic has to be used for.
(I like the rule that it has to be in some way representative of the god, which puts limits on construction. I can also imagine experimental artist-priests testing what they can get away with in terms of engineering.)
I've considered doing a post with more detail on how Statue-cities work, including the necessary enchantments and enough theological physics to explain why the coolest strategy is the most practical; I'm just not sure I'd have enough there to be interesting.
The statue-needs-to-represent-the-god bit is part of it, with some reciprocal stuff going on. Like, the statue needs to reflect how the god is viewed, but the statue also influences how the god is viewed, which is good for getting a perfectly representative statue but bad if you have your god's main statue lying down, since that makes them look lazy (and a lazy god is not a helpful god).