Quote Originally Posted by Spiderguy24 View Post
Hey! So with the release of Xanathar's guide, and reading up more on the Dark Maiden, I've been thinking of a Drow Sword Dancer character that goes around and does his best to spread the good word and help the helpless. No he isn't going to be a whiny emo bitch or a Drizzt clone, it doesn't fit with the character. With that said, I am having a hard time coming up with a build that fits with the theme! Going by AL rules, I'm limited to PHB+1, so no College of Swords/Bladesinger combo sadly. With that said though, I'm open to other alternatives though! So... any awesome ideas?
Eilistraee is the light in the darkness for the drow, but that said...she is her mother's daughter. The small surface societies dedicated to her are dominated by the clergy, who are EXCLUSIVELY female. They're more benevolent than Lolth's to be sure, but they still thought of males as inferior.

In previous editions, the sword dancers were clerics (specialty priest kit in 2e, PrC in 3.5e), and thus HAD to be female. I don't think you necessarily have to stick with that, however. But I'd say the Swords Bard is a better starting platform then the wizard, if for no other reason than which stat you're building for.

I do like the Dark Maiden, though. If you want some great reading on her, read the Lady Penitent Trilogy by Lisa Smedman. Some things are easier to understand if you've read the War of the Spider Queen series before, but it's not-strictly speaking-necessary. It might give you some inspiration, especially if your DM is on board with the Masked Lady amalgam.