Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
L is also a letter. That doesn't make any sense at all. If he wrote "I want him to write 100 unrelated letter just in a specific pattern the way Im writing it down now" would that work?

What if the sentance was a poem? Just a very short one that doesn't rhyme.

Like thats my shattering of immersion. Its when the plot actively requires mind caulk to make sense, thats when I just can't believe it.
And why can he control truck accidents and not prison escapes? Could the prisoner escape if he gave him like 10 hours or the like?
When what can happen is arbitrary it makes most of the mind games "And then the author allows X to happen".
I don't recall Light ever attempting to control a prison escape. His experiment closest to that was having a prisoner run to a specific bathroom that was still inside the prison, and it worked. It was the "get to the Eiffel Tower from Japan in one hour" one that failed.

For writing stuff, the distinction between the experiments that seems likely to be important to me is whether what is written has meaning to the person who's supposed to write it that he would never write. So, "prisoner snaps and writes something that seems utterly random to him" works, but "prisoner writes clearly about something he knows nothing about" doesn't.