Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
I see him as more Soldier that dipped Noble and maybe has a level of Officer. I mean, his leadership is kinda there, but throughout the entirety of TFA he was just "the pilot guy" and even in TLJ hes still more pilot than leader. So something like Soilder 4/Noble 3/Ace Pilot 3/Officer 1? I mean, we can screw with this a bit, but that should work.
I dunno. I feel like there's more scoundrel than soldier in him. He only uses pistols (reminds me more of Han than trooper), no armor, and his main weapons are talking, guile, and flying. You could do it with soldier, but it feels better as Noble/Scoundrel grabbing skillsy face traits and pilot stuff. He just doesn't seem to use much soldier specific stuff.

But hey, that classless Saga stuff looks cool. It probably would be easier to make characters match the mechanics with that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
I may be running a game for my group in the near future (and im not talking about my Prequel thing from the other thread) so i thought id go an resurrect some important NPCs from my last attempted Merc Sandbox. Im thinking of setting it during the Dark Times (or Unleashed era if you prefer) so i may need to modify the Imperial Officer, as originally this was set in like 6 ABY.

Admiral Velkas: Imperial Admiral in charge of Ord Grovner and the surrounding sectors. Like many Admirals he wishes to increase his standing, which is difficult on a backwater assignment such as this. To that end, he has taken to the criminal underworld to fund his various schemes as well as to steal anything he believe may help him.

Zorga the Hutt: Operates out of his palace on Andasala. He owns several legitimate mining operations that he uses to launder his spice money. Zorga was once a big shot in the Hutt Cartels, but Jabba soundly trounced him, humiliated him, and sent him on his way. Zorga has been biding his time to get his revenge.

Numa Taa: Numa Taa is a Black Sun Vigo based out of Ma'ar Shaddam. He primarily sells weapons and other illegal armaments, but he's also the king of all smuggling operations on the Sanrafsix Corridor. As such he has a palace on Kabal where he also spends a fair amount of time.

Now, all three of these fine beings are in competition with one another. Velkas is just using the black market to earn unregistered funds as well as pick up anything that will give him an edge (ie new starfighter designs, unusual weapons etc), whereas to Zorga and Numa Taa its their job, so they hate him on principle. Zorga and Taa hate each other because the other controls something that the other needs (Zorga has a bunch of raw material and Taa has the weaponsmiths) so the two smile and play nice, but they have every desire to kill each other.
Again, it feels like you've got a great backbone to the game: what happens if the players do nothing. I get that you said, "sandbox" but I've found most sandboxes benefit by having at least an opening quest to launch from.

The characters need to have or build some relationship with these antagonists to set them adter them. It looks like a standard Fallout setup, where the players can pick a side to align with or play their own game against all factions.

If you set them up as mercs, just have their opening mission be working for one of the three factions only to be waylaid by a competitor to get them started. In a sandbox, action revolves around the party, so a revenge arc is a great way to get started. It also anchors them somewhat to your sandbox, because if they choose to cut their losses and move on, they now owe a debt to whomever they started out working for.

Starting with scum and villany's outlaw job tables will help lay a foundation for what needs to happen in each session.

For a sandbox, I'd ask the players to create backstory and character goals (and hopefully why they teamed up with other mercs) so I could plan encounters to play into their character motivations. Saga already has backgrounds and destinies that can pair with this to expand on that element.