Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
The fighter is too broad and undefined
We played using his Fighter for the first time on the weekend. An F8, and B5/F3. The only issue was the archetypes didn't suit our characters, so had to homebrew a Scout and Skirmisher/Guerrilla. But as a system, I found it a lot more defined. The F8 Skirmisher had 4 Combat Maneuvers(1 per round limit), and his level 3 archetype feature. The CM's made for interesting tactical choices each round, and the archetype feature made his feel very different to the other archetypes. You would not have mistaken him for a Cavalier. He had Evasive Footwork, Lunging Strike, Riposte and Crippling Strike(he had Goading in normal 5e rules, but that is now locked to the tank types - Cavalier and Samurai). He was effectively drawing the attention off our cleric with Crippling Strike, and moving around the battlefield with Evasive Footwork etc. Each round it really mattered which he chose. The higher level you get, the larger your suite of CM's, and the more tactical it becomes. Also the archetypes continue to steer you away from the flavor of other fighter archetypes. Might not be as complex as some would like, but as our F8 hadn't even read the system before the game, it was easy enough to pick up, and more defined and flavorful that standard 5e Fighters. That's been my take so far.
Only reason I see its not broad, is the limited amount and style of archetypes. But the system has room for that.