Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
Hey, I'll take that as a good sign. :)

But as two people participating in this thread for a while, let me post an variant question to you, which it's entirely possible you answered previously and at length and I'm forgetting, but I'm interested in:

Why do you find "RPGs are about collaborative storytelling", used as a universal thing that all RPG play either participates in, or requires, or is done by every player just by playing their character, to be a useful and meaningful application of the term "collaborative storytelling"?

My intention is to ask about the converse of my contention, that using it in this way strips it of meaningful and useful context and definition, making it too broadly applicable to tell you anything about playing the game. Ie describing different play styles.

If that question doesn't accurately represent your position, for example you don't feel you're holding a diametrically opposed position to mine, I'd love to know why that is the case too.

On that and as a note, often in forum arguments, it's possible to see yourself as contesting another posters 'extreme' viewpoint, 'defending' against aspects of it with your moderate point of view, as opposed to being the opposite 'extreme'. For the record, that's how I viewed myself coming into this thread: Defending against an extremist definition with a more moderate viewpoint. Aggressively defending though. Pretty sure many other posters see themselves doing the same in their counterpoints.
It is useful as a term for beginners trying to grok the general shape of Roleplaying.

For instance, if I'm talking about Greek Architecture with a total beginner, I'm not going to begin with Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian columns and move into the various styles of relief. That's too much, too fast, and they don't have the basics yet.

Flying immediately into the minute distinctions is a quick way to lose your audience.

For instance, when I'm describing Warframe (a game I enjoy) to someone who knows nothing about gaming, I say it's a game about being "Ninjas in space with laserbeams."

This is not actually accurate, but people now have a foundation of understanding. If I'm talking to a gamer, I'll say "it's an mmo pseudo class-based looter-shooter" and they'll have an idea of what I'm talking about. But this description is not useful to those who know nothing.

If I had to describe Warframe to someone who had done a little research and wanted to know what separated it from similar titles, I would say:
"Warframe focuses a lot on mobility compared to others in its genre. It is fairly grind-heavy but levels are somewhat randomized so it doesn't feel like a chore, but if grinding isn't your idea of a fun time, stay away. With that however, the individual warframes offer a lot of playstyle variety and playing with friends is a blast."

The details increase according to my audience. "Collaborative Storytelling" is useful because it gives the general shape of things happening at the table when talking to someone who knows nothing. People who hear that are no longer surprised to hear character voices and descriptions of attacks and conversations because they've been primed to see something like that. The distinctions can be included as their understanding increases.

And at the end of the day, it is accurate in the same way that "ninjas in space with laserbeams" describes Warframe.