Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
in roleplay proper, narrative is more about opportunities due to its improvisational nature. often its just seeing that there is an opportunity for the character to logically show this side of them and thus make them a better character for reacting like that. this same anti-war person in roleplay, is more about properly recognizing the moments where they should be reacting to war's horrors and roleplaying it out in a plausible way so that it feels both real and emotional. the point is getting to those moments that the character was made for, the method doesn't really matter to me, but honestly I wish I were better at connecting the dots on my own in writing. I have so many moments I want to do, but its always the scenes that connect them together and make one logically flow to another that is the problem.
Proper is a loaded term. If something is presented as “proper” Roleplaying, then it creates an immediate connotation that other methods of Roleplaying must be improper.

What you describe reads to me as a story focused approach to Roleplaying. Your character is described as being anti-war. As a player, you have a number of scenes you want to play out regarding this theme. For you, the challenge is how to get your character into those scenes. Your character is something you built to create scenes with.

I prefer a more classic Roleplaying approach. Call it character focused. If I were to take the same basic concept - my character is anti war - then I start thinking about how that belief shapes his world view. What events in his past left him with the his skills and abilities, an anti war sentiment, yet still prompts him to lead the violent life of an adventurer? My challenge is to understand this person. To develop this personality so that I can get to the point where I can stop talking in character and just let the character speak.

I am actively curious how that idea sounds in this post GNS - Edwardian influenced age.