Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
Depending on what games you like and how you like to play them, a quick google for "zelda rom hacking tools" can allow you to find text editors. I don't know how in-depth you'd have to muck with the scripts for a lot of them (I haven't played a zelda game in a while), but simple "he" to "she" and "boy" to "girl" should be easy to just find and replace on your own. Depending on how in depth you want to go, you can even have Link start out being referred to as a boy, only to become the prophesied girl as the story progresses. Doesn't work on consoles (and good luck with any game with involved voice acting), but tools have been made so that you don't need messy hex editing to just make a few dialogue tweaks.

And I probably shouldn't mention that there used to be a Zelda cartoon that you can youtube. Giving a voiceless protagonist a voice can do things to your mental image.
I cannot, in good conscience, recommend that cartoon. It is awful, but somehow hilarious, but at the same time... Just no.