Ok.so I haven't yet figured out how the day of mourning occurred. In my research into the day ( by the way, the campaign has centered so far on a single benefactor that works on behalf of Cyre. The fact that none of the PC's come from Cyre is immaterial, they like the money and the work so far) I discovered that 4e has Baator as introduced into the campaign around the same time as the day of mourning.

This is an interesting development and I like it. Because I like to drop hints and stuff with repurcussions elsewhere that players might not see for weeks months or years. If they follow that trail well I make it up until I have time to plan.

I don't know if they will ever pursue this, but if they ever get to that point there's another plot twist waiting. I'm more darths and droids and much less DM of the Ring. I roll with the players.

I spend time trying to figure out what plots the kingdoms and the dragonmarked houses are doing. Much of this will never be seen, and I'm ok with that. This might be another red herring as far as their concerned, or it might be vital information once it's discovered.

Anyway I digress, perhaps a new thread would be the best place to address this hypothetical question.