Quote Originally Posted by Burnteyes View Post
Well, that makes two of us that may or may not currently be running a Goblin Ranger.

That said, while I full understand the value of Dash, and the dark vision advantages of a deep stalker, I'd like you and others to talk me out of this idea.

Prior I'll note I'm a damage junkie and have a deep seeded love of all things Warlock. IN other words, I'll need strong logic and data to sway my emotional pull.

Hunter with the Colossus Slayer sub. Archer. It has a 16 dex and 14 Wis, 16 Con, my others suffer majorly. At L4 I am thinking of taking the magic initiate Feat rather than Dex to 18 or Wis to16.

Add Hex as the spell, which is redundant with Hunters mark, but you get to disadvantage the target for another magic users DC spell.

At 5th that is +8 to attack, +3 or +5 to dmg (if it is my favored enemy). 1d8 + 1d6 + 3 damage (with aforementioned disadv on x skill) At L5 that is +7 to hit 2d8 + 2d6 +6=24 average and it is disadvantaged on say, Dex.

I'll would add ye ol' EB which I would have a +5 to hit for 2d10 + 2d6 + 2 = 22 ave you know, if its say a Werewolf or something else with immunity to standard weapons. Throw in Minor Illusion cantrip from Warlock and well...

Yes, you'd have redundancy in Hunters Mark and that might be enough reason, but you need to counter the loss of the EB which doesn't suck and uses force.

Conversely, going with Druid and Shillelagh gives me magic melee which is my other though. I'd take cure wounds spell because that doesn't suck, and probably resistance because it's a very poor man's Bless.

Yeah, this probably belongs in a separate thread, so if we should move it just say so. If not, tell my why getting Dash, dark vision advantages and the other spells are better (and I admit they are good)
Well for the EB thing, you use CHA for the 'to hit' not wisdom. So....make sure you have a good cha. And Hex is disadvantage to checks not throws. however BB or GFB is good here. Shillelagh is fine but again BB and BFG are better, if simply because you can use them with a better weapon and also additional affects.

Cure wounds doesn't suck but is also not that good either. I feel like if you're gonna take a feat you should do something that helps focus that Archer playstyle you mentioned.