1. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Got a Real-World Weapon, Armor or Tactics Question? Mk. XXV

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    Lack of plate is true, but did India use the combined mail and plate style of armour we see in the Middle East? I am referring to the suits that look like a combo of mail and a coat of plates, with the plates connected together via mail. I wouldn't be surprised if the north of India did, but the south didn't. Armour seems to be unpopular in tropical regions, due to the climate and issues in overheating I assume.
    Forgot to reply to this amidst the heaivng mass of "braaaaains".

The combination of mail and plates was a very common type of armour in the Indian subcontinent yes. Not in the least because the major power on the Ganges plain was often a conqueror from the outside with an origin back into the areas that used such styles.

However, this is a very different beast from Western platearmour and is no where near as protective as full on platearmour. It's more accurate to consider it a special type of chain/splint mail really, or a chainmail with some excessively large rings included. So to say. I will still contend that there was no actual platearmour in any wider use as was the case with Europe. Obviously the heat and humidity are a problem also for plate wearers. And note all of the Indian continent is more or less tropical, the Northern parts are still decidely hot in summer. The British Raj had a summer capital in the Himalayas 2kms altitude for a time to get some decent coolness.

Re: Zombie stuff. This is a link to what I believe is part of the sparks for the discussion: http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Yonkers
    So have go at reading that description and poke holes in the explanaiton I guess. Am sure tere are some. It seemed a bit more involved than what I recall from the book, which ofc is framed as the memorires of various people living thorugh WWz.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2018-02-15 at 06:40 AM.