Her Imperial Majesty, Vana Rafaela Zhekurus, Empress of Avakonia, Queen of the Karysites, known also as the Sunset Queen, The Purifier, and formerly the Last Heir of Dejan the Magnificent, Unifier of Emjata, watched in quiet contemplation as N̨amodl systematically insulted her, her people, and her life's efforts. She wore her characteristic bronze armor, depicting the triumphs of her forebears, and the relatively simple circlet that both indicated her status and protected her from magics both fair and foul. Her sword and shield had been left with her guard, outside the hall, and when the Vana had left them, the two guard parties had been watching each other closely. Both groups were disciplined enough that there would be no violence unless their masters called for it, but the tension was thick enough to cut nonetheless. The Dvatlans had supported the Inkian rebellion that had ravaged their lands, and the Burning Guard in particular had seen plenty of battle against the northern warriors.

Accompanying her were Flamekeeper Des, who stood at her side and Basmira of the Karysites; Abdurriken was occupied elsewhere, Starbreather accompanied Dastatia during her stay in the Whitefeather Kingdom, and her husband preoccupied in Kuniumi. It was well that Basmira was not in the negotiating hall, or the fine throne N̨amodl lounged upon would be stained by blood already. The woman held the Empress' weapons for her, as a fellow warrior from Karys. Des, meanwhile, was without blade, though the Flamekeeper was competent enough in wrestling and fist-fighting not to require one, should the need arise.

When she spoke, it was with a subdued anger, with all the authority of her long rule.
"I will grant that your incursions have been met with fortune thus far, King Tälir of Hüpägh, Lord of D̨vatla, Guardian of Gakhus, Warden of Tipëzvär. You would do well to note, though, that our allies are no longer distracted by civil war. My daughter entreats with the Inyoni queen to provide us with aid against our mutual foe in the south, whose rampage you enable for your own ends. You tell me to save my people, whilst you trample roughshod over their homes with little purpose beyond conquest for its own sake. You tell me this while a whimpering, overdressed dog desecrates a burgled throne and insults my people with the presumption that he could ever rule them."

She looked at N̨amodl, and it might be that the man could swear, just for a moment, that the stones set into her circlet were glimmering. It seemed...ominous, somehow.
"I am willing to make peace, but we will not submit to you, and I shall not stand idly by while a coward and a fool desecrates the titles I bear. If you have terms for peace in mind, speak them openly, but I shall defend the honor of my ancestors. N̨amodl of D̨vatla, I challenge you to single combat, wherein only death shall end the bout. If you are not the coward you appear, then you shall accept, and your life shall end with some shred of honor yet preserved. If you do not, then these talks will be at an end, I shall take my leave, return with fifteen thousand soldiers to take back what you have stolen, and dedicate the years I have left to becoming the undoing of all that your uncle and your cousins have worked for. Once you have both made decisions of your own, I will declare to you my own terms for the end of this war."