Spoiler: Arden Winthrope
Show
You leave the offices of Saltford's Bank, James' laughter still ringing in your ears. It stings, more than you thought it would. "Arden, Saltford's is at the cutting edge. We need the best minds. Academy graduates, not dropouts. Why don't you try selling spirit charms down in Nightmarket? Or busting ghosts on the side?"

As you collect your thoughts, a man approaches you. Heavyset, bulky. Hooded, and wearing a fine spirit mask. A snarling animal of some sort. "Mr Winthrope, a moment of your time? I may have some work for you." He takes you by the arm and gently guides you to a small café. He orders three small mince pies and three mushroom stouts. He quickly demolishes two of them, leaving the third for you. "I understand that you have had some trouble at the Academy. I was most opposed to how you were treated, but I have so very little influence these days. So it goes. But I don't want to bore you about Academy politics. I have an amusing story for you. Some time ago, I had contracted with some disreputable sorts to purchase an unusual artifact. Don't look shocked, aha, we at the Academy are sometimes more grounded than we appear. Ahem. But the parties never showed up at the meeting. The law caught up with them, as is just and proper. But regrettably, before I could make the purchase. And the law does not appear to have recovered my artifact. Most vexing. Fortunately, these artifacts do not hide themselves. I have consulted with the spirit worlds and divined its location. I fear that another band of criminals has acquired it, hah. It would be very helpful to me, personally, if you offer your services to these scoundrels. Who could turn down the offer of an Academy trained whisper? Study the artifact, and keep me apprised. And when the time comes, I will be happy to sponsor your readmission to the Academy.