Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
I meant no offense. I just saw the opportunity to make a stupid pun, so, you understand, I had to avail myself of it.
As well you should have! No offense was taken.

after the reveal, let me know what it is, because I'm drawing a blank. I gather your coyness is in case anyone else uses it too.
I don't think it has even the tiniest chance of showing up in this round unless someone throws it into their build as a direct result of this post just for craziness. The class is Knight of the Middle Circle, from Defenders of the Faith. It's the most unnecessarily spread-out class I've ever seen. You gain one spell slot of each of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level by the time you're done. One slot each. I have no idea what the point is. The other class features are standard bizarre 3.0 crap. True Strike a few times per day (hooray?), Tongues a surprisingly large number of times per day (but not always-on or anything, goodness no, that's far too crazy), Blind-Fight for some entirely obscure reason, and an almost interesting but far too timid bonus to attack rolls and AC against one target at a time (which is, at the very least, not action-heavy or use-limited, but it's still not worth the investment it takes to achieve it).

To call it a five-level class stretched into ten levels is to generously flatter it. I can see why they didn't bother to update it. I don't see why they bothered to write it. They basically didn't. So you know, Hoardstealer is probably better than this, and it definitely gets more magic! That's a win, right? We're gonna call that a win?

if I had to guess, and, giving the designers more than their fair share of credit and assuming the hoardstealer has a small number of spells/day on purpose and not just by happenstance, I'd guess it's for the same reason that any class that actually does anything (with rare exception) also doesn't have full ba. they already gave you skills (kind of) so they couldn't possibly give you a reasonable amount of slots too, or else everyone would take hoardstealer and rudisplork their games into oblivion.
I guess I'm just confused by the fact that there's a semi-standard progression for "4th level spells over 10 PrC levels," and the Hoardstealer doesn't use that. I guess it's not actually standard, and there's probably at least one other notable exception that can be dug up in one direction or another, but still, such things are noticeable.

Anyway, I have only thought of a single thing that can be done with Hoardstealer, but it's so far out in left field (and involves some pretty intense cheese to make it reliable) that I don't think I'll submit it. It really takes weapons-grade cheese to make it work, so I'll talk about it after the reveal. I'm still going to give myself a little more time before I commit to judging, but I'm leaning that way right now.