"My master, is there a reason you're having me balance these books on my head whilst we play? You're already far more skilled at the game then me, I don't see why you need a further advantage over me." Cordellia delicately picked up her piece and wavered between moving it aggressively or defensively. The two wizards sat parallel from each other, clean wooden chairs placed beneath them, and a smoothly cut slab of stone acted as the board betwixt them. The wind blew daintily, softly rustling the clean green grass beneath them still wet with the morning dew, and it ruffled Cordellia's exquisite lacey dress.

"As an Elf you are particularly resistant to somebody controlling you with magic," She placed her piece down finally and without a second thought Allustan moved in counter pose, shattering her entire plan with a sacrifice play she hadn't seen coming "However that doesn't make you infallible to these practices. Your body will work against you, but your mind, your mind will still be your own. Take that time you have, stripped of physical concentration, and use it instead to process your environment. Your circumstances. And when the time is right and you have been freed..."

"Act." She slammed her shiny black piece down and sent the books on her head toppling to the floor "My apologies... But, I think that's game?"
"Indeed. Clean this up and return to your studies. I have business to attend to."

The memory flashed in her mind as clear as it was weeks ago, Cordellia's paralyzed form riddled with a sense of fear, and then upon realizing how rapidly her erstwhile companions abandoned her, resentment. She ground her teeth slowly before realizing that she had in fact been able to grind her teeth at all, and upon feeling the full magical binding release her she smiled and looked to her fellow abandoned Elf.

"Hold on Rae, I've got-" THUMP Was as far as she got before the winds blasted her to the ground and she desperately reached out to her fellow kin in vain. "I'm sorry love!" Was all she got before she tumbled back and made a dive for the rope.

"Those stunty bastards." She thought to herself as she finally could see beneath her all the remaining members of her party.

Spoiler: Climb Check?
Show

(1d20)[13]