View Single Post

Thread: Acronym Help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Acronym Help

Okay, so I've got an idea for a system of ability scores.
    • Str/Con Combo: In this hypothetical system, the extent to which a character focuses on offense or defense is not represented by ability scores.
    • Dex Equivalent: And unlike D&D, the dexterity stat will govern to-hit with everything.
    • Int/Wis/Cha Combo: Just the one mental stat.
    • Stat for Spellcasting: Instead of each class using a different one.

Now, my first thought was yo call them Strong, Skillful, Smart, and Spooky. But I feel like that has a few problems. for one thing, those are adjectives, and I think it makes more sense for attributes to be nouns. For another thing, they all start with the same letter. and while that has a nice sibilance to it, it complicates abbreviations. So I started seeking synonyms.

I'm looking for words that would clearly communicate what the stat represents, even to people unfamiliar with the system. So, for example, the Str/Con stat shouldn't have a name that would lead people to assume it's just a Strength stat, or that it's just a Constitution stat. This has turned out to be hard, especially for the magic stat. Most words I can come up with sound like they should represent some specific aspect of spellcasting.

To make matters worse, I've gotten it into my head that the stats should form some sort of acronym, especially an onomatopoeia of some sort. Can someone who's good with words help me out? Or maybe just talk me out of some of my criteria?
    • Each word can't be a better fit to a different, more common stat concept.
    • None of the words can start with the same letter.
    • Each word needs to be the sort of thing a normal person would actually use to describe what the stat represents.
    • The stats should form an acronym.

Here's what my brainstorming has yielded thus far.
    • Brains, Anima, Might Finesse (BAMF)
    • Brains, Agility, Magic, Fitness (also BAMF)
    • Brawn, Alertness, Magic, Finesse (also also BAMF)
    • Vigor, Wits, Agility, Magic (VWAM)
    • Smarts, Power, Agility, Magic (SPAM)
    • Speed, Power, Acumen, Magic (also SPAM)
    • Fitness, Wits, Agility, Magic (FWAM)
    • Brawn, Wits, Agility, Magic (BWAM)

Thoughts:
    • Does anyone actually say "brains"
    • Anima is an obscure Latin word, and also a concept in Jungian psychology.
    • Does "agility" really sound like it should also include hand-eye coordination and reflexes?
    • Okay, I'm pretty sure no one says "smarts."
    • Does "speed" seem like it should govern manual dexterity?
    • Does power sound like it should also include magical power?
    • Is "acumen" too obscure?
    • Does "fitness" sound like anything?
    • Do people still use the word "brawn?"
    • "Alertness" sounds like a purely perception thing, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2018-07-13 at 11:38 PM.